Have an ingredient in the fridge or cupboard but don't know what to do with it?
- 3 Tbsp Low fat mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1 Large bunch broccoli
- 3 Medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 Cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- pinch of black pepper
For the dressing, whisk the mayonnaise and vinegar in a small bowl. Cut off broccoli florets and reserve for another use. Peel the stalks, then grate in a food processor or by hand. Combine broccoli,carrot and dressing in a large bowl. Stir in almonds,parsley and pepper.
Potato Salad Recipe
- 550grams Potatoes, washed
- 120 grams(about 4 pieces) short-cut rindless bacon, finely diced.
- 3 Large eggs, Hard boiled and peeled) we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g
- 2-3 green onions(shallots) finely chopped
- 188g (3/4cup) Good quality mayonnaise
- Scant 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Ensure brushed potaotes are scrubbed clean first. Place unpeeled potaotes in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover potatoes. Cocer saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a medium boil and cook until potatoes are just tender(you should be able to pierce the potatoes with a knife and meet no resistance). Drain potatoes and cool to room temperature. In a small frying pan or saucepan, fry bacon over medium heat until cooked and lightly browned. Set aside to cool. Remove skin from potatoes, if desired. Chop potatoes into bite sized pieces. chop eggs. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir gently to combine. If you like, you can reserve some of the bacon or green onions to sprinkle over the salad before serving. The salad can be served immediately, or refrigerated until cold. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. How to hard boil eggs Place eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Cover the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from heat, drain eggs and cover with cold water to stop further cooking of the eggs.
Cos Lettuce with Chunky Tomato Vinaigrette
- 2 Large ripe Tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup loosely packed Fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp Tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Small clove Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Large head Cos lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled feta cheese
For the vinaigrette, place tomato, basil, tomato sauce, oil, vinegar, garlic and salt in a food processor. Pulse with on/off motion until blended but still chunky. Toss the lettuce with vinaigrette in a large bowl. Sprinkle with feta. Serve at once.
Spicy Potato Salad
- 1 kg Chat or baby potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp Fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Red curry paste
- 1 Tsp Garam masala
- 3 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1 Cup Bean, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Coriander, chopped
- 200 Grams Thick continental style yoghurt, for serving
Boil or steam the potatoes until just tender. Drain and allow to cool. Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion,garlic and ginger and cook until the onion is soft but not brown. Add the curry paste and Garam masala and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, add the lime juice and mix well. Cook the beans until tender, then drain. Cut potatoes in half, then toss together with the warm onions mixture, beans and coriander. Serve with a spoonful of yoghurt.
- 100grams Salad mix
- 350 grams Chicken breast fillets
- 1/2 punnet Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Large Cos Lettuce
- 200 grams Leg ham, finely sliced
- 100 grams Jarlsberg cheese, finely sliced
- 3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 1/4cup White wine vinegar
- 2 Tsp Seeded mustard
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Cracked pepper
- Combine ingredients in a screw top jar, shake well.
Cook chicken in heated oiled large pan until brown both sides. Place chicken in shallow baking dish, bake uncovered in moderate oven about 15 minute or until cooked through, let the chicken cool for 5 minute then cut into thin slices. Wash and separate salad mix and cos lettuce, tear into small pieces and blend together. Divide lettuce among serving bowls layer chicken, tomato, ham, cheese and egg, then drizzle with vinaigrette.
Carrot Raisin Salad
- 2 cps shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp grated onions
- Mayonnaise or French dressing
Combine carrot and raisins in a bowl. Add grated onion and moisten with mayonnaise or French dressing. Serve on lettuce.
- 3 Granny Smith apples diced or wedge
- 3 Celery sticks, sliced
- 1 Cup of walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Blend with mayonnaise.
- ½ Red Cabbage
- 2 Chapped Tomatoes
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Carrot (finely chopped)
- ½ Lettuce
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mix well. Serve by itself or add some spicy chicken breast for a summer flavour.
Waldorf Salad with Home-made Mayonnaise
- 3 Granny smith apples, coarsely chopped
- 3 Sticks celery, sliced
- 1/2 Cups Pecans or walnuts
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1 Tsp Dry mustard
- 2 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1 Cup oil
- 2 Tbsp Hot water, approximately
Use half the quantity of mayonnaise for this recipe, keep remaining mayonnaise covered in a refrigerator for up to a week. This recipe is not suitable for freeze. Combine apples, celery, nuts and lemon juice in a bowl. Mayonnaise- Blend or process egg yolks, mustard and juice until smooth. Add oil gradually in a thin stream while motor is operating. Stir in enough hot water to give a pouring consistency. Stir though the apples mixture.
Middle Eastern Carrot Salad
- 500g Medium carrots
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika(or more to taste)
preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Peel carrots and cut into slices. Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add enough oil to cover base of the pan, add cumin seeds and carrot slices. Stir well and cook 8-10 minutes. Place in a baking dish, toss in sweet paprika and bake in preheated oven until tender. Squeeze grapefruit juice over to serve.
Orange Honey Beetroot
- 750Grams Beetroot
- 30Grams Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Grated orange rind
- 2 Tablespoons Orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
Peel beetroot, cut into 1 cm strips. Combine beetroot with butter and rind in a large shallow dish, cover and cook on high for 4 minutes, stir half way through cooking. Stir in orange juice and honey, cover, cook on high for about 4 minutes or until tender.
- 1 Butternut pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, cut into large cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Honey
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 1 punnet baby cos leaves
- 75g pkt toasted pine nuts
Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the pumpkin in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Gently toss until the pumpkin is well coated. Place in a single layer on the lined tray. Bake, turning once during cooking, for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the seeds are lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, mustard and extra honey in a screw-top jar and shake until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Place the pumpkin, baby cos and pine nuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gentle toss until just combined. Serve immediately.
- 180Gram (2 1/4cup, loosely packed) finely shredded cabbage.
- 180Gram (2 1/4cup, loosely packed) finely shredded red cabbage.
- 1 Carrot medium, peeled and grated.
- 1 Small-Medium Capsicum, thinly sliced.
- 24Grams (1/4cup) finely chopped onion.
- 2/3 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons White vinegar
- 3 Teaspoons Caster sugar
- Salt to taste
Stir mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar and salt together in a small bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate until required. Toss vegetables together in a large bowl. If you wish to serve the salad immediately pour dressing over the vegetable and toss to coat.